Thursday, June 24, 2010

This Charming Man - The Smiths

This song always reminds me of the first time I got to have my own room. If you are from a big family you know how exciting it is when you get a space of your own. Being the middle of 5 children I never had a problem sharing. I mean just imagine 5 kids and one bathroom. Maybe because I grew up with everyone all up in my grill and didn't know any better, but I was perfectly happy with my little edge of the mirror getting ready for school.

When my sister Tabi moved out I was sad that she was moving away but so excited to finally get my own room. In our old house we had an interesting set up. We had a 4 bedroom house but one of the bedrooms was what my parents called the maid or nuns quarter. It was off one of the bedrooms and was very tiny. The roof slanted down so in some parts you couldn't stand up all the way, which really was not a problem for me because I could fit in it more than the rest of my family being the midget that I am. You may ask yourself - why would anyone CHOOSE the smallest bedroom in the house? Let me explain:

1. You could hear my mom & dad coming so you could hurry up and hang up the phone with the boy you were not allowed to talk to.
2. It was like a little cave and felt away from the rest of the house
3. It didn't matter - I finally had my own room!

I remember the first week I got my own bedroom I woke up in the morning and I went out in service and came home so excited to clean my room. Don't choke. I know, can you believe I actually wanted to clean!! I walked into my room put my Smiths Volume I album on (the one with the picture from East of Eden) and started to dance, sing and clean around my own room! This Charming Man was the first song. I did this many mornings when I throw on that CD and my BFF Jodie and I would get ready for whatever we were going to do that day.

Aww - remember when simple things like getting your own room made you happy! Good times.

1 comment:

  1. that's a great song. it was the first track on a cd i made for my friend's bday party. everytime i hear the intro it reminds me of her party. good choice.

    ReplyDelete