Thursday, May 20, 2010

5/19/10: Your the One that I Want - GREASE

You can’t have this song in your head without wanting to do the little hip dance! I think this movie is another movie like Dirty Dancing – girls just love it! My good friend actually told me and another one of our friends a few months ago that she hates Dirty Dancing and we both said “WHAT!” I’m still shocked. By the way if you are near the LA area, the Hollywood Bowl has movies they play during the summer months. One of them is Grease and another favorite is Sound of Music. Basically it is one big sing-a-long fest! People get into it and dress up and everything. Now I have the Disney Sing-a-long song in my head. Good times. Not sure if anyone used to watch those but they were awesome. I’m irritated with the new Sing-a-long videos because they changed the intro song. Lame.

Ok onto an embarrassing story. When I was 14 we moved from LA (SF Valley) up to Santa Maria. It was a big change for us. Especially for my sister who is 2 years older than me. She was moving in the middle of her high school years. But looking back at it – it was a great thing to experience. We were used to living in a place that really did not have a sense of community and you really needed to be careful if you were walking to the corner market. “Do not cross Topanga to go to Thrifty’s!” my Dad used to say – which sucked in the summer time when we wondered where the hell the ice cream man was. Santa Maria was a small town where there was always a party or a BBQ happening and you could feel safe walking across town to your friend’s house. Of course we had to act like it wasn’t cool to live in a small town and told everyone how much cooler LA was. We were such bad asses. But in reality spending those years in Santa Maria was awesome. I met some of the greatest people who I am still close to.

So one summer we heard that there was a big party being planned and there was going to be a talent show. So some of my friends and I decided we wanted to do a montage of music down the years (50’s, 60’s, 70’s). We did costume changes and everything. By the way this is also during the time where you had to piece the songs together on a blank tape – thank god I didn’t have to do that. I don’t have the patience for that. I can’t remember all the songs we did but here are the ones I remember – Yakety-Yak, Respect, Staying Alive and we ended the great musical dance montage with You’re the One that I Want. We had 4 girls and 3 boys in this production-I loved that these guys did this! Their parts made the show! I’ve heard that there is a video of our show and I definitely don’t want to see it because the production I remember in my mind I’m sure is way better than reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment